Using Alchemer's Add as Needed feature you can allow your respondents to answer a given set of questions repeatedly.
In our example (right), the respondent can dynamically enter the contact information for up to 10 conference attendees. This feature is available in both our Custom Group and Contact Form questions.
- To start, decide whether to use either a Custom Group or a Contact Form.
- A Contact Group is a formatted group of textboxes designed to collect contact information.
- A Custom Group allows you to group questions of different types together. This can include Radio Buttons, Checkboxes, Dropdown Menus, Textboxes, and Essay questions!
- Set up your Custom/Contact Group sub-questions.
- Once your sub-questions are set up, go to the Logic tab.
- Scroll to the Add as Needed section and select the option to Allow respondents to duplicate these grouped questions.
- (Optional) Display a blank group if the question has not been answered is selected by default. If you'd like, you can uncheck this option. This will display the overall question text for your Custom/Contact Group with the Add Another button.
- (Optional) Customize your Button Text. In our example, we changed "Add Another" to "Add Another Attendee" and changed "Remove Item" to "Remove Attendee."
- (Optional) If you would like to limit the number of times these fields can be dynamically added, enter the max number in the Max Repetitions field and customize the Max Repetitions Reached Message. The Max Repetitions will be in addition to the initial display of the question. For example, if you put in a max of 4 repetitions, you could collect up to 5 responses to that question.
- Save Question once you have finished configuring the Add as Needed options.
In reports, each instance of the field is repeated and reported on. So, in our example, we collected up to 10 first names, so we have a series of First Name fields reported as appendices in the Summary Report.
As in reports, each field is repeated for each instance of the add as needed group.
Incompatible Questions and Features
- The add-as-needed setting is not available for the following question types:
- Grid question types
- Dropdown Menu List
- Textbox List
- Semantic Differential
- Sliders and Slider List
- The add-as-needed setting is not compatible with logic.
- The add-as-needed setting is not compatible with integrations that push data to another application e.g. Salesforce, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Google Sheets.