Survey researchers frequently use randomization as a tool to combat survey bias. Randomizing the order of questions, pages, and/or answer options in your survey prevents bias introduced by order and/or survey fatigue. Within Alchemer you can randomize questions, pages and answer options!
Randomize the Order of Answer Options
- Edit the question and go to the Layout tab.
- Select the option to Randomize Options (or Randomize Row Order or Randomize Columns).
- Click Save Question.
This setup is the same if you wish to randomize row or column headers.
Fix the Position of a Given Answer Option When Randomizing
- Edit the question.
- Scroll to the answer option you wish to exclude and click the pencil icon to edit.
- Select Yes under Fixed Position.
- Click Done and Save Question.
Compatible Question Types
|Question Type||Answer Randomization||Fixed Setting|
|Image Select (Single and Multiple)|
|Textbox List - Randomizes row order|
|Dropdown Menu List - Randomizes row order not options|
|Rating (Likert Scale)|
|Drag & Drop Ranking|
|Star Rating Grid - Randomize row order and columns|
|Slider List - Randomize row order and columns|
|Grid Questions (Radio Button, Checkbox, Dropdown Menu and Textbox) - Randomize row order and columns|
|Custom Table - Randomize row order|
What should I know about answer option randomization?
- All built-in randomization features in Alchemer utilize true randomization, meaning it will not ensure even representation of elements. Our Professional Services team can assist with balanced customization if you wish!
- The specific random order in which randomized answer options were displayed to the respondent is not available in reporting.
- If using column randomization within a grid question, note that this feature is not compatible in conjunction with columns that are piped-in and the fixed and N/A special setting for columns.
- Piped options (including grid rows) will display in the original order they were in in the source question (as seen on the Build tab). This is the case even if the answer options on the source question are set to randomize. There is not a way to change the order of piped options at this time.