Zapier is a service that integrates various web applications, making it easy to automate otherwise tedious repetitive tasks. For example, you can automatically send a message to an instant message client based off a survey response or copy a file from a File Upload action to Dropbox. Those are just two examples of the countless ways you can utilize Zapier to make your life happier!
Note: Zapier does not support EU or CA Alchemer accounts. The Zapier Integration must be run on accounts within the US data center. Additionally, the Zapier Integration will not work with questions that have subfields, such as the Contact Form, Continuous Sum or Custom Groups/Tables.
- Sign up for an account at Zapier, it's very quick and easy. They offer a free 14-day trial so you can try them out with no commitment.
- Once you have an account, you're ready to create your first Zap; click MAKE A ZAP! (A Zap is Zapier's term for a trigger plus an action.)
- On the Choose a Trigger App screen, search for and select Alchemer.
- A New Survey Response will be the trigger and whatever application you choose will have actions that can be triggered.
- Click Connect a New Account. Then provide your API Key and API Secret Key (not sure where to find these? Check out our API Authentication Tutorial). Click Save + Continue.
- Next, select the survey you wish to pull new responses from in the first dropdown menu. In the Only Complete Responses dropdown menu select either yes or no. Click Continue.
- Now you're ready to test your Alchemer trigger. Once you receive confirmation that your test is successful click Continue.
- Now, you're ready to set up your desired action. For this example, we'll create a spreadsheet row in Google Sheets, but there are endless options!
- Click Connect a New Account. Follow the prompts to connect to Google. Click Save + Continue.
- Next, select the Spreadsheet and Worksheet and map the fields in your Alchemer survey to the columns in the spreadsheet you wish to send the data to.
- Now you're ready to test your Google Sheets action. Click Create & Continue.
- Once you've verified that the trigger and action are working as expected, click Finish.
- Now all you need to do is name your Zap and turn it on.
Now you're good to go! If you need to edit or delete a Zap, you can manage your Zaps from the Zapier Dashboard.
Sending File Upload Questions to Zapier
To set this up, add a Hidden Value to any page following the file upload question.
In this Hidden Value field you'll need to construct the link to the file. All file upload links have a specific file page with one of two base file paths depending on whether you are using the File Upload Security setting:
Nonsecure base file path
Secure base file path
In addition to the base file path you'll need to add the following:
- Your account ID
- Survey ID where file was uploaded
- Name of the file
The schematic is:
Or the following if you are using the File Upload Security setting:
To set this up, start with the base file path and add:
- Your account ID in place of [ACCOUNT]
- The survey ID in place of [SURVEY ID]
- [question("value"), id="3"] - this is the merge code for the file upload question, put this in place of [FILENAME] (be sure to replace the id=3 with the id of your file upload question).
If you would like to allow respondents to upload multiple files you'll want to set up separate file upload questions and allow a single file per question.
Having trouble getting your Alchemer Triggered Zap to work? Below are a couple of things you can double check.
What is the Only Complete Responses setting set to?
Yes or No are your best bets to get the integration to work.
Do your trigger and action accounts show that they are working?
Within Your Trigger and Action go to your each account and click Test to check.
Are you receiving a 401 authentication error when creating a new Zap?
This is the result of a change in authentication requirements we made to increase the security of our API. If you've had a Alchemer Zap for awhile your existing Zaps will continue working, however, for new Zaps you'll need to provide your new API credentials. Check out our API Authentication Tutorial to learn where to get this information.
Are you an EU or Canada customer?
Zapier does not support either EU or Canada versions of our application.
Not sure if your account is US, EU, or Canada?
Check the URL when you are logged in to the application. If you see app.surveygizmo.com your account is a US account.
If you see app.alchemer.eu your account is an EU account.
If you see appca.alchemer.com, your account is a Canada account.